The first step towards writing an outstanding synthesis essay is developing an outline. Students typically find writing a synthesis essay difficult and technical. Writing a synthesis essay requires getting a controversial topic, getting several research papers on the topic, combining the articles to form a point that will be discussed. As such, creating an outline helps one organize and summarize the information gathered.
The synthesis outline is important as it provides writing guidelines and cohesive information – which is the essence of synthesis essays.
Synthesis essay outline: what it is and why it is important
Synthesis essay outline means creating a research paper structure before writing begins. A synthesis essay outline would typically start with the introduction, including a strong thesis statement. The introduction alone should make readers fascinated and interested in the topic. After the introduction is the three body paragraphs, including details of several information points. After the paragraphs, the conclusion of the synthesis essay is next and last.
An outline is vital to developing a logical flow in a synthesis essay. The paper would likely derail from the main point without an outline. A synthesis essay outline helps ensure that all-important information is tabled in a logical sequence.
Synthesis essay outline template: how to follow synthesis essay format
The common styles involved in synthesis essay outlines are APA, MLA, and Chicago. Using one of the common formatting styles and knowing how to use quotation marks is imperative in synthesis essay writing. APA synthesis essay format style is one of the most common; it is simple to understand and use. Meanwhile, MLA is also common and easy to use and is accepted for writing a synthesis essay. On the other hand, the Chicago formatting style is less common but also accepted.
A writer needs to follow the correct synthesis essay format and style considering the quantity of information in the essay. Moreover, following proper format and style ensures all sources are properly documented – which is very important. In addition, following the stipulated synthesis essay format helps a writer keep track of sources used in the paper – synthesis essays usually follow a standard template as shown below:
- Introduction – which should be attention-grabbing, provide a little background information of the topic, elucidate terminologies, and include a thesis statement.
- Body Paragraph 1 – should include a piece of important evidence to support the thesis, the least important evidence and examples, facts, a contemporary sentence stating how the evidence supports the thesis, and a concluding statement.
- Body Paragraph II – should include another main point, evidence to back up the point, and analysis of the point.
- Body Paragraph III – should include the main point, evidence to support the point, and analysis of the point.
- Conclusion – should include main points reiterated and thesis restated.
How can writing an outline help you synthesize information?
Writing an outline is helpful in many ways, including:
- Helping you structure your paper – writing an outline helps provide a structural overview of your paper, which invariably makes writing easier. If your school gives you a template for your essay, you wouldn’t need to create an outline as one has been created for you. An outline helps you see where exactly a piece of information belongs.
- Organizing your thoughts – creating an outline before writing an essay helps you organize your ideas before writing begins. Your thoughts are organized such that when you start writing, you know what to write and how to write it.
- Planning and time management – creating an outline helps you plan and manage your time wisely when writing an essay. With an outline, you know what information is needed and which should be discarded. Moreover, an essay outline keeps you from going off track with the essay’s main point. Outlining helps you see what you have written and have yet to do.
- Makes for easy writing – ultimately, creating an outline makes writing the actual essay easy and hassle-free. Writing an essay requires researching, gathering information, buckling down, and writing. Creating an outline makes the whole process easier and satisfying.
How to use synthesis essay prompts
Synthesis essay prompts are topics in the form of statements or questions asking students to synthesize information from several sources. The majority of synthesis essays come from college professors and high school teachers. Synthesis essay prompts mean that the topics are prompted; and, a proper understanding of the prompt is essential.
To fully maximize synthesis essay prompts and write a great essay, a writer must find their passion and interest. Once passion is established, the next thing is figuring out the purpose of the prompt, which is easy now that passion is involved. Normally, synthesis essay prompts would come with specific writing guidelines to ensure the essay is written up to standard.
In conclusion, the process of writing a synthesis essay is long; there are several aspects to cover. However, creating a detailed synthesis essay outline and following the standard format is paramount. Your professor’s rules concerning the synthesis essay must be followed to the letter. Creating an outline and following instructions ensure you write an impressive, A-grade-worthy synthesis essay paper.